Did You Know These 3 Things Could Cause Your Pipes To Burst?
Give SERVPRO a call if you experience busted pipes.
Water damage from flooding is one of the worst disasters you may ever confront as a homeowner. But what is it that makes a pipe burst and flood a home in the first place? Here are three issues that may cause damage to the water line.
1. Turning Off the Heat
Freezing in the pipes happens when temperatures dip below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, causing water pressure to build up, and possibly making the pipe break. Most homeowners in Las Vegas, NV are aware of this, so many residents let their faucets drip in the winter. However, leaving faucets on and unattended is not always the best idea, especially if there is an unexpected blockage in the drain. Leaving the heat on is a great alternative.
2. Buildup of Sediments
Freezing is seasonal, but all year round, hair, food, grime and even minerals from the water can lead to sediment buildup, once again creating pressure in the pipes and potentially causing a pipe burst or a rupturing of the water line or backflow. To prevent flooding from this, routinely clean drains with either approved chemicals or by hiring professional assistance.
3. Tree Roots
One of the most unsuspecting causes of bursting pipes is tree roots. We plant trees for shade, for oxygen, and for a beautiful landscape, but they often anchor themselves to pipe lines below ground. Some of the trees most likely to ruin pipes include oak, maple, willow and elm. Pipes made from PVC and steel are the least likely to be damaged by roots, but the risk remains. Choose plants carefully, and plant them at a safe distance from the building.
Knowing what makes a pipe burst is a great start in your efforts to prevent it from happening at your home. However, for those times when human error and mother nature conspire against you, there is peace of mind in knowing there are experts who will restore your home in no time. Visit http://www.SERVPROnorthwestlasvegas.com for more information on water damage.
What Does Sewage Cleanup Involve?
A sewer backup or flooded toilet in a commercial property can cause extensive damage and pose a contamination risk. It is important to start sewer cleanup as soon as possible. Rely on certified professionals who can quickly complete the process to limit the exposure of the owners or occupants of the property to potentially harmful bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens, as well as the extent of secondary damage. There are three major steps to sewage cleanup.
1. Eliminate solids and liquids. In order to effectively clean and sanitize the area of a commercial property affected by a sewer leak, it is necessary to remove all traces of sewage from the area. Whether you are dealing with category two water damage, which consists of gray water, or sewage without solids, or category three damage with black water containing solid waste, a cleanup crew should use buckets and dispose of damaged porous building materials and contents.
2. Clean and dry the affected area. Once all sewage has been removed, the next stage of the sewer cleanup process involves thoroughly cleaning and drying the affected area. There is no need to perform extensive disinfection at this stage, as it is best to allow the area to thoroughly dry first. A restoration company may use fans, air movers, and dehumidifiers to promote fast drying.
3. Disinfect the area. Once the part of the property that was affected by the sewage leak has been thoroughly cleaned and dried, it is time to disinfect the area. This step in the cleanup process prevents risks to the health of customers or other occupants in the property.
A restoration service located in Las Vegas, NV can provide complete sewer cleanup services in commercial properties. Whether you have experienced a flooded toilet or a sewer backup, professionals can restore your property more quickly from start to finish and prevent damage from worsening.
Visit http://www.SERVPROnorthwestlasvegas.com for more information on commercial water damage.
Flood Insurance Is a Must For Businesses
Give SERVPRO a call if you experience commercial flooding.
Coping with the aftermath of a flood in Las Vegas, NV, is likely to be challenging to citizens and business owners. Surprisingly, many business owners may not realize the importance of carrying flood insurance because they assume they are covered under their commercial insurance policies. Naturally occurring hazards such as fire, lightning and wind that produce damage are covered under these policies, as are rainwater, mudflow and melting snow that leaks onto property from above, but commercial coverage does not typically extend to flood damage. Areas that experience snowy winters with rapid spring melts, heavy spring rains or even moderate annual rainfall are at particular risk for the kind of flooding that can damage floors, walls, fixtures, and inventory and cripple a business temporarily or permanently.
Defining Flood Damage
To understand floods, you must know what makes a flood different from a rainstorm.
1. Flood water is defined as accumulating from the ground up, as in the overflow from bodies of water, storm surges, blocked storm drains, and rain or snow melt that inundates ground that is ordinarily dry.
2. Floods cover at least two properties or an area determined to be at least two acres.
3. Flood damage is confined to buildings in which water and/or mudflow has infiltrated from the ground.
Understanding Flood Insurance
Insurance policies for floods protect business owners against losses to their buildings and what is stored in them. Exemptions include vehicles, loss of use and loss of revenue from having to close the business for any amount of time. If the business is operating with a mortgage from a federally insured or federally regulated lender, carrying flood insurance on the building is required by law. The same is true if the business is operating in an area that has been officially designated as an area at high risk for flooding. Easy-to-use, interactive tools available online enable business owners to determine the status of Las Vegas, NV with regard to flood risk.
Visit http://www.SERVPROnorthwestlasvegas.com for more information on storm damage.
SERVPRO: Your Las Vegas Household Mold Growth Removal Authority
Mold is one of the most pervasive and common complaints that a home owner can face.
Your Household Mold Growth Removal Authority
If you are facing issues with water damage or the presence of mold in your home, now is the time to get the issue professionally addressed and dealt with. Mold is one of the most pervasive and common complaints that a home owner can face. This is especially true for owners of older homes. Once introduced, mold can spread throughout your home, causing structural damage and can cause health effects.
Stopping Mold Growth In Its Tracks
Las Vegas mold growth is a pernicious enemy that must be stopped dead in its tracks before it has a chance to spread and take hold throughout your home. In order to achieve this, you will need to be on your guard against it. If your home has recently been flooded, or if you have experienced issues with faulty or broken pipes, you will need to call upon the services of a professional mold growth removal service.
Be Sure To Check Your Basement And Bathroom
The two locations in your home where Las Vegas mold growth is likely to spread after a flood or pipe breakage are your basement and bathroom. Your basement is a prime candidate for mold growth because it is the lowest floor in your home, and full of secluded corners and hard to reach spots where mold growth can easily take hold and spread.
The bathroom of your home is also a prime candidate for mold growth. This is because the pipe fittings in your bathroom that connect to your bath tub, toilet, and sink can become leaky or faulty with age, creating little pools of water all throughout the area that can quickly become breeding areas for mold and other bacterial pathogens.
Contact Your Friendly SERVPRO Professional Today
Customers who are searching for the finest one stop water damage professionals should choose SERVPRO today. SERVPRO is IICRC certified to provide excellent household mold removal service. If you have any questions or concerns regarding household mold or any other issue that may be affecting the safety or structural integrity of your home, please contact the friendly professionals at SERVPRO today.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Northwest Las Vegas is close by and ready to help with your mold-damaged property. We are proud to be an active member of the North Las Vegas community and want to pitch in and help make our community the best it can be.
When a major storm or event occurs, we can call upon our national network of 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams if we need additional resources or personnel.
Need water damage restoration in Las Vegas? Call SERVPRO
Are you experiencing water damage in your home or office due to floods or maybe leaks?
May be negligence? And you are totally helpless and don’t know how to overcome this situation. With all your work and responsibilities at home and office, you simply cannot think of a way out of it by yourself. But do not fear, and do not panic! We have the answer to your problem. In fact, we have been in this business of Las Vegas Water Damage Restoration for quite a while, helping people like you who are experiencing water damage.
Every type of water damage is different from the other. But we definitely have a unique remedy for all of them.
We have a 24 hour emergency water removal service
Flooding can be a disastrous situation if it is not handled properly. You need to handover the matter to the professionals in order to save your home or business in Las Vegas. It can happen without any warning during day time or night. So we have an emergency service to provide immediate restoration throughout the day and every day of the year.
We are quick to serve you; whatever the size maybe
We at SERVPRO has over 1650 US and Canadian franchise areas functioning to be quick as possible to rescue you and your home and office from water and restore everything so that you can carry on forgetting what took place. We also help you to prevent secondary damage and mold.
We have thoroughly trained Water Restoration Specialists.
We at SERVPRO are able to arrive at your residence quickly and help you to get your home and your belongings back to normal and dry conditions.162
We are locally operating in the same vicinity
SERVPRO of Northwest Las Vegas is locally owned and operates. Hence we are so much a part of it. When you are suffering with floods and water issues, we are already there with you as we are located almost in the same vicinity. We are so proud that we are part of the Las Vegas community and are able to serve our community with dedication and commitment.
Our restoration process operates like this.
1. Emergency Contact – As soon as you contact us, we are at your doorstep
2. Inspection and damage assessment – Inspection takes place immediately and the damage is assessed by our professionals
3. Water removal – Necessary steps are taken to remove water immediately using latest machinery
4. Drying and dehumidification – We dry your entire compound and house before your very eyes
5. Cleaning and sanitizing – Every kind of dirt and mud is removed and sanitized completely so that you can breathe fresh air under clean surroundings
6. Restoration – All is restored like a miracle within a very short time.
Three Steps To Prioritize After a Fire
Give SERVPRO a call if you experience commercial fire loss.
Commercial fires in Las Vegas, NV can be devastating, and knowing what to do after a building experiences a fire can be overwhelming. Here are three essential steps to take to begin the fire restoration process.
1. Call an Insurance Company
After the fire has been put out and everyone is safe, you’ll need to alert an insurance company that a fire has occurred as soon as you can. The faster you get in touch with an insurance claims manager about fire insurance, the more quickly the claim can be processed and fire restoration can begin. The insurance company will need to notify an insurance assessor to carry out an inspection of the damage.
Additionally, start taking inventory of any items that were destroyed during the fire and their value. Avoid disposing of any damaged goods until after you have taken inventory.
2. Don’t Touch the Damage
Resist touching or moving around any damage done by the fire until after the scene has been surveyed by a loss assessor, as this could slow or stall the claims process. Plus, damaged areas may still be extremely dangerous. Roofs, walls and floors have the potential to collapse, and all the soot and dirty water in the area can cause sickness. Even though fires have been put out, they have the potential to start again. Reenter the scene only after the fire department indicates it’s safe to do so.
3. Hire a Board-Up Service
Board-up services are companies that have expertise in cleaning and restoring commercial buildings and other related items after disasters like fires. These companies will secure the building against additional damage, repair damage and even provide cost estimates to repair or replace personal and household items. Additionally, they usually offer smoke cleaning, item storage and property cleaning. Ask your insurance agent who he or she recommends.
Commercial fires in Las Vegas, NV are distressing. Knowing these three steps ahead of time can help you be prepared in the instance of a fire, speed up the fire restoration process and ensure the property is fully cleaned and restored. Visit http://www.SERVPROnorthwestlasvegas.com for more information on commercial fire damage.
Can Mold Odor Be Eliminated?
Give SERVPRO a call if you notice mold growing in your home or business.
Mold odor can feel like it crawls inside your nose and refuses to leave. This is because of mycotoxins, which are atmospheric toxins released by mold. These toxins carry the smell, and it can get stuck on anything. In your clothing. In your nose. On your furniture. It’s a musty, unpleasant odor that seems to trigger the constant urge to sneeze. But can you eradicate mycotoxins and mold smell from your Las Vegas, NV home?
It’s Not Impossible
Your first step to get rid of the mold smell should be to get rid of the mold. That won’t fix everything, but it’s a start. You should:
• Find a good mold remediation specialist. Companies that specialize in mold remediation can help you find and eliminate even hidden mold in your home, removing any source of fresh mycotoxin production.
• Get rid of any moldy belongings. Some things just can’t be salvaged. A professional might be able to help you work out what can and cannot be saved, as well as being able to do the work to bring your belongings back from the brink, but to prevent more mold and more mycotoxins some things just go in the trash.
• Air out your house. Let fresh air in. Pull the curtains back to allow the sun to touch as much as possible inside your home. Mold doesn’t like sunlight.
• Invest in an air filter. HEPA air filtration devices are meant to remove particulates from the air. This includes mold spores and mycotoxins. Using an air filtration device can dramatically improve the air quality in your home after a mold infestation, and cut that smell down to almost nothing.
• Scrub affected areas with baking soda and vinegar. Just for a final touch, do a little post-remediation cleaning. This cleaning can include scrubbing affected areas with baking soda and vinegar, which are great home remedies for odor elimination. Visit http://www.SERVPROnorthwestlasvegas.com for more information on mold.
Cleaning Up After a Home Fire
Give SERVPRO a call if you experience fire damage in your home.
A house fire in Northwest Las Vegas can be a distressing and devastating event. Seeing the destruction, no matter how minor, may leave you overwhelmed and wondering what to do next. In the aftermath, you should conduct a thorough review of what to keep and what to throw away among items remaining in the residence.
Make Informed Choices
Certain things may appear to be unaffected on the surface, but on further examination, they will likely need to be discarded. There are deciding factors that can help you determine what needs to go. Certain types of fire damage, such as burning or scorching, are easily identified. However, you’ll also want to consider kinds of damage that may not be so apparent, from sources such as these:
? High heat
? Fire extinguisher residue
High heat can be damaging to foods, cosmetics, and medicine. To err on the side of caution, you may need to throw away all of them. Anything warped or melted by the heat should be tossed. Clothing and other household textiles often absorb smoke and should be inspected to determine if they can be salvaged. Smoke, soot, water, and fire extinguisher dust often spread and penetrate everywhere, through closet doors, kitchen cabinets, and even appliances such as your refrigerator, so their contents should be scrutinized as well.
Let Cooler Heads Prevail
You’ve got a lot to think about and may be especially worried about how much of your belongings you’ll need to throw away. Emotions are likely running high. An option that can ease the stress and concern is to contact fire cleanup and restoration professionals. They typically respond quickly to calls from distraught homeowners, and many have hotlines that are staffed 24/7. Most are skilled in rectifying the different kinds of damage a fire can leave in its wake, and have specialized expertise enabling them to restore as much as possible to pre-fire condition. Visit http://www.SERVPROnorthwestlasvegas.com for more information on fire damage.
3 Tips To Slow Down Mold Damage
Mold can quickly become a serious problem for your commercial building in Las Vegas, NV. Flooding and high humidity can lead to growth in as little as 24 to 48 hours. Once the mold has started, it can spread rapidly through air vents to the far reaches of your building. Whether you are dealing with black mold or a different kind of fungus, you want to address the issue as quickly as possible to mitigate the damage. Working with a commercial mold cleanup team can make the process easier because they know exactly how to take care of the following steps, and they can act quickly and efficiently.
1. Stop Airflow: Spores can travel in the air. If you want to keep the mold to one part of your space, you need to cut off the airflow. Most experts suggest turning off your HVAC system because the mold can travel through your vents. Once this is done, the team may set up a negative air chamber to better keep the fungus quarantined to a specific part of your building.
2. Stop Water: Chances are, if you have a mold problem, you also have a moisture problem. You may need to turn off your building's water to put an end to the flooding or high humidity. However, you may also be able to set up dehumidifiers or drain the flood water from your space.
3. Remove Spores: Once the spread has been stopped and the cause has been eliminated, you want to have the black mold removed from your building. Depending on the extent of the damage, this may require tearing out carpets, throwing away furniture, restoring belongings and ripping out drywall.
Mold cleanup can be tricky for the layman. The spores can spread easily and come back to life at the slightest increase in humidity. When dealing with black mold, you want to make sure the spread is stopped and the growth is cleaned up properly. Visit http://www.SERVPROnorthwestlasvegas.com for more information on mold.
What To Do After Commercial Water Damage
Damage due to a water loss.
Commercial water damage often involves larger spaces, pipes, or roofs, and it may be more costly to fix than damage in a residential structure. If your commercial property in Las Vegas, NV has sustained damage from broken pipes or a leaky roof, you should take steps to reduce the amount of excess water and contact a commercial restoration service that specializes in water cleanup.
Cleaning up after a leak can be a messy process, but there are several ways to limit the extent of the damage and the potential for secondary damage. Immediately after a leak occurs, you should:
• Use buckets, mops, or towels to prevent water from soaking into building materials, carpet, furniture, or other items.
• Contact a plumber or roofing company to handle the leak as soon as possible.
• Contact a cleanup and restoration service that’s certified to handle leaks and prevent secondary damage within 24 hours of the leak.
Once you have dealt with the broken pipe or any other source of excess water in your commercial property, you should contact a certified commercial restoration service to dry, clean, and restore the affected areas to their original conditions.
A water damage restoration company can provide several services, including:
• Water mitigation by removing standing water from your commercial property
• Dehumidification and ventilation to control moisture and prevent secondary damage, such as mold growth
• Restoration of property damaged by storms, burst pipes, or roof leaks
If broken pipes or a leaky roof have caused damage in your commercial property in Las Vegas, NV you should contact a local or regional service that specializes in water damage cleanup and restoration. The sooner you fix a leak and address any damage that has resulted, the more affordably, effectively, and quickly you will be able to restore your property to a functional and safe condition. Visit http://www.SERVPROnorthwestlasvegas.com for more information on water damage.