If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (702) 453-8870

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Steps To Take When You Have Leaking Light Fixtures

10/5/2020 (Permalink)

Water in a light fixture Water in light fixture

Protect Your Family and Home From Further Damage

If you notice water in light fixtures of your home in Las Vegas, NV, there may be holes in your roof and ceiling, causing a leak. Common causes of roof and ceiling damage include:

  • Missing shingles
  • Broken pipes
  • Ice and hail
  • Clogged gutters

By taking the following steps, you can protect your family and home from further damage.

Shut off the Electricity
It is imperative to avoid touching a light fixture or switch if you notice an accumulation of water near it. Instead, locate the appropriate circuit breaker and deactivate it to halt the electricity flow and prevent shock or fire.

Shut off the Water
Drips from ceiling light fixtures indicate that water is also accumulating within your home's structure. Locate and shut off the valve to your home's main water supply to prevent additional water from flowing.

Find the Source
Often, ceiling damage is due to a broken pipe or roof damage. Water in light fixtures suggests an overflow of water from deep within a ceiling. Mold has likely developed by this point.

Contact an Electrician
An electrician knows how to handle light fixtures and wires that are water-drenched. Don't reactivate the flow of electricity before confirming that conditions are safe.

Dry Out
By the time you discover water dripping from a ceiling fixture, it may have damaged your living space. You can remove some moisture with a dehumidifier, but professional water vacuuming will be necessary to dry out hard to reach areas within your home's structure.

Get Rid of Mold
A professional mold remediation service can safely remove mold from within the ceiling and walls after water extraction. A musty odor indicates invisible mold spores in the air that require robust purification methods to remove.
The consequences of water in light fixtures can be overwhelming for many homeowners, but experienced water and mold remediation professionals can effectively clean and sanitize your home.

Other News

View Recent Posts